Friday 8 July 2011

how to: make your own weathering powders for two dollars



hey guys, I've recently bought IA: Model Masterclass Vol. 1, and I must say, it is amazing. definitely worth the 57$ investment.

Rather than running out and buying this and wait weeks for it, I  decided I'd be clever, and make my own

So, I've decided to make my own weathering powders.

Anyway.

on with the show:


Step one: Materials
You'll need:
An exacto knife [or any sharp knife, I suppose]
A hammer
A small tub
An artists' chalk
A piece of paper towel

I assume you'll need to buy a little tub for 50c and I did buy my pastel for 1.50$.


Step 2: cut

Cut off a sizeable chunk of your pastel or chalk, and put it in your tub. 
If it takes up more than 60% of the space in your tub, it may overflow. Be warned. 


Step 3: wrap
Wrap the clod of paper up in the middle of the paper, so that it is squarely in the middle. wrap both the sides into the centre. 

Step 4: remove chunks
As it says, remove all the little chunks that will be there. use the ball or point of your hammer to do this, or even just your knife. 

Step 5: collect


And, now you have your very own weathering powder! 



2 comments:

  1. Very cool, I went out and picked up some chalk for this very thing since I could not find a couple colors I really wanted.
    Other than that, I use the ones from Secret Weapon Miniatures as they're what I started with and really enjoy using them now.

    hat and I agree, the FW book is a good read to see how they do certain things.

    Ron, From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the veiwership. Means a lot.

    Yeah, I'd tend towards using either FW powders or the like, but since I was impatient, this was my best option.

    Good proxy at the very least.

    ReplyDelete

IF you have any questions you'd like to ask, be sure to post them below. If your question is one you'd like to keep private, be sure to e-mail me at diaord@hotmail.com or send a PM to Scipio Africanus.

I do appreciate comments and viewership is important to me. I will endeavour to interact with users if they seek me out.